Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to obtain perfectly legal OEMs.
05-17-2011, 09:28 PM
How to obtain perfectly legal OEMs.
Hello,

A friend of mine works at the local scrap yard. I have him on the look out for any PC cases that pass through. I showed him an OEM Product key and told him to jot them down for me. Since the PC has be scrapped it goes without saying that the OS license has been tossed.

Another way, if you work in an office (as I do), the last time they did an upgrade from XP to Win 7, I ran around grabbing up as many product keys as I could. Again just because my bosses want to pitch it in the trash why can't I pull it back out? Smile

Finally, just wanted to say, I really enjoy using XP SP3 at home. It has been around for 11 years and still strong as ever. MS was really stupid for discontinuing XP and making the equivalent of New Coke. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2011, 03:18 PM
RE: How to obtain perfectly legal OEMs.
This is not "perfectly legal" as it is outside of the end user license agreement. Who follows EULAs though, right? Smile

Here's the scoop direct from Microsoft regarding OEM license transfers:

The OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The End User Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, states that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why OEM System Builder licenses can't be transferred.

Microsoft Licensing FAQ
03-24-2012, 06:24 PM
(05-17-2011 09:28 PM)X Kahn Wrote:  Hello,

A friend of mine works at the local scrap yard. I have him on the look out for any PC cases that pass through. I showed him an OEM Product key and told him to jot them down for me. Since the PC has be scrapped it goes without saying that the OS license has been tossed.

Another way, if you work in an office (as I do), the last time they did an upgrade from XP to Win 7, I ran around grabbing up as many product keys as I could. Again just because my bosses want to pitch it in the trash why can't I pull it back out? Smile

Finally, just wanted to say, I really enjoy using XP SP3 at home. It has been around for 11 years and still strong as ever. MS was really stupid for discontinuing XP and making the equivalent of New Coke. Big Grin

Yes.. doesn't really consider that "perfectly legal", but lie the last poster said.. Who really cares? OS & Offices suites should all be 100% if you ask me.
03-25-2012, 09:13 PM
I totally agree, but sooner or later all office tools will be replaced by SaaS
03-28-2012, 09:33 PM
but dont u "steal" in a way? I dont get it
04-21-2012, 11:33 PM
So pull out the processor and the hard drive .. glue them to the case inside your new computer and then you would be in compliance ...

:-)

I'm just joking. Its crazy what they put into a EULA.
05-15-2012, 04:45 PM
(04-21-2012 11:33 PM)razz Wrote:  So pull out the processor and the hard drive .. glue them to the case inside your new computer and then you would be in compliance ...

Typical EULAs are like US Code(US law), full of partial clauses ripe for the financial and social raping in a court room by the financial dominant..
05-19-2012, 04:30 AM
(04-21-2012 11:33 PM)razz Wrote:  So pull out the processor and the hard drive .. glue them to the case inside your new computer and then you would be in compliance ...

Smile) good idea!! by the way, what if I upgrade my system?? in their opinion should I buy another win also just for fun?? Smile)) do they think that we are all stupid? Smile (most of us are unfortunately...)
05-21-2012, 02:09 PM
I find XP slow and outdated i did this with the keys in my school also Wink
10-17-2012, 08:43 PM
as mentioned, i agree but later all office tools will be replaced by SaaS...

« Knowledge is good only if it is shared. »