Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
antiwpa stopped working XP box
11-09-2010, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2010 05:21 PM by Mike.)
antiwpa stopped working XP box
Hi,

I moved a customer's hard drive to a new box, new mobo, original winXP was OEM and wouldn't activate with the OEM key. So used antiwpa and everything's been cool for three months.

Now customer returns computer saying the pc wants activation. Indeed, the antiwpa.dll file is gone. Couldn't check in safemode whether NortonAV had removed it. So I just reinstalled antiwpa 3.4.6

Now windows keeps asking for activation on startup, blocking access past logon screen. Going back to safe mode, I find antiwpa.dll is gone from Windows/System32.

Has MS released a KB patch that messes with antiwpa? Dodgy
---
EDIT: On reboot antiwpa.dll is still in system32 folder, but pc still wants activation in normal startup mode

Running TASKLIST /M /FI "MODULES eq antiwpa.dll" returns this line:
'TASKLIST' is not recognized as an internal or external command... (etc)

???
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2010 09:21 PM by NewEraCracker.)
RE: antiwpa stopped working XP box
"Has MS released a KB patch that messes with antiwpa?"
No that I am aware of. It seems Norton dislikes AntiWPA3.

How to recover.
I assume you got an USB storage device. Plug in another computer and download AntiWPA 2.3.
Turn on affected computer. Press F8 right after BIOS messages repeatedly until a menu shows up.
Now plug USB device, proceed to safe mode and install patch.

Protip: If you used AntiWPA 3.5.0 or 3.4.6 with counter-freezer please pick options and uncheck "Apply OOBE fix" before applying patch (just to avoid an error).

Regards,
NewEraCracker
11-09-2010, 09:56 PM
(11-09-2010 09:21 PM)NewEraCracker Wrote:  "Has MS released a KB patch that messes with antiwpa?"
No that I am aware of. It seems Norton dislikes AntiWPA3.

How to recover.
I assume you got an USB storage device. Plug in another computer and download AntiWPA 2.3.
Turn on affected computer. Press F8 right after BIOS messages repeatedly until a menu shows up.
Now plug USB device, proceed to safe mode and install patch.

Protip: If you used AntiWPA 3.5.0 or 3.4.6 with counter-freezer please pick options and uncheck "Apply OOBE fix" before applying patch (just to avoid an error).

System file protection dialog box never popped up-- waited 2 minutes

Otherwise worked great, thank you!
11-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Glad to know.

About System file protection dialog box you applied it in safe mode where windows doesn't load that kind of things Big Grin

Now that you got it fixed re-apply AntiWPA 3 and make sure norton doesn't delete it (AntiWPA3 is needed in case winlogon.exe gets overwritten by some windows update)

Regards,
NewEraCracker